3 January 2011

Celebrate the bard's birthday on the 25th January

With Christmas and Hogmanay now out of the way, it's time to look forward to the next great Scottish feast day: 25th January. That's when Scots everywhere honour the "immortal memory" of the national poet, Robert Burns.

In the past, Burns Night suppers have been a turn-off for vegetarians. But things are changing. Most hotels and restaurants now include veggie options on their Burns Night menus - often featuring the famous vegetarian haggis from Macsween.

Of course, you can also make a vegetarian haggis at home, as this recipe demonstrates.

If you're thinking of organising your own Burns Night event, take a look at my article Yes, you CAN have a vegetarian Burns Night supper. It gives suggestions for the menu, as well as advice on the music, speeches and ritual.

For a more complete guide to organising a Burns Night supper, I can recommend Hugh Douglas's Burns Supper Companion. It's an excellent guide to all aspects of the celebration - veggie or otherwise.

Whatever your plans for celebrating the 25th January, I hope you enjoy your evening as much as I will mine.



2 comments:

Ruth said...

I got this recipe from veg-world last year, and made it to bring along to a burns night supper with friends. All my meat-eating friends agreed it was absolutely delicious!

Mike Lewis said...

Hi Ruth,

I'm delighted you and your friends liked my haggis recipe. It's particularly pleasing to hear about meat-eaters enjoying a vegetarian dish.