17 January 2011

Taste test proves positive for Provamel

When I heard that Provamel were planning to improve their chocolate and vanilla soya desserts, I was immediately suspicious. I always keep a few of these delectable treats in the fridge, either for a quick dessert or just for an occasional snack. As well as having a lovely creamy taste, they boast excellent health and allergen-free credentials. So why mess around with a product which is already so good?

In fact, I needn't have worried. The new desserts appeared in my local health food shop this week, so I decided to conduct a taste test (admittedly, not a particularly scientific one) among myself and some family members. The verdict: the new version is at least as good as the original, and - in the opinion of 50 percent of my testers - noticeably better.

But taste alone is not the only reason that Provamel have changed their recipe. The company's products have always been gluten-free, and therefore suitable for people with coeliacs disease. But the improved desserts are now also wheat-free. Previously, they contained wheat syrup, which, though derived from wheat, is either completely free of gluten or contains only minute traces which are well within permitted levels.

However, a minority of coeliacs, as well as some people that don't have coeliacs disease, are also intolerant of wheat, which is why Provamel have eliminated it completely from the desserts (but not necessarily from their other products).

As well as being wheat- and gluten-free, Provamel desserts are lactose-free, GM-free, vegan, contain no artificial sweeteners or preservatives, and are made in a nut-free environment. They're a good source of protein and calcium, and contain only tiny amounts of saturated fat. But they are far from bland or boring. On the contrary, these products have a rich flavour and a delightfully thick and creamy texture.

Provamel or Alpro?

You might have seen a similar range of desserts sold under the Alpro brand. In fact, Alpro and Provamel products are made by the same company, and are almost identical. The key difference is that the soya beans used in the Alpro version are not necessarily organic. Alpro is a mass-market brand which is available in many shops and supermarkets. The Provamel range, which is made from 100 percent organic beans, is a little harder to find - you might have to seek it out in your local health food shop (I buy mine in Real Foods in Edinburgh or in my local Holland and Barrett branch).

If you haven't already done so, give these little luxuries a try. They make an indulgent treat at the end of a meal - or at any other time. Their undoubted nutritional benefits are a welcome bonus.



5 comments:

Moira A. said...

This sounds great. I'm always looking out for new gluten-free stuff. Thanx.

Connie said...

Mike, you've encouraged me try these desserts again. I use to buy them, but I seem to remember they were quite expensive. Has the price been increased with this new type, do you know? -- Connie.

Mike Lewis said...

Hi Connie.

No, the price hasn't changed. I usually pay £1.59 (for a pack of four), but I've also seen them for less. The packs that we taste-tested were marked at only 99p, which I assume is an introductory offer

In Tesco, the Alpro version are usually £1.50 per pack of four but are currently on offer at two packs for £2.50.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Cathy the Chef said...

Interesting article - thanks - I normally buy Alpro but will look out for these!

Mike Lewis said...

Hi Cathy,

Glad you found the article useful.

Mike