9 January 2011

Eating out: Mimi's Bakehouse, Leith

Although it's not specifically vegetarian, I would like to tell you about Mimi's Bakehouse in Leith (except perhaps those of you who are watching your waistlines).

I discovered Mimi's when I was out with my cycling group (Edinburgh 20-Milers) yesterday morning. Along with seven other foolhardy peddlers, I cycled in snow and slush from central Edinburgh to Leith. The temperature was around zero, and by the time we reached the Shore, we were badly in need of warmth and sustenance

We decided to invade the first nice-looking café we saw - which turned out to be Mimi's. It was an inspired choice. The place was warm, spacious, welcoming and mercifully free of intrusive background music. Not at all put out by the sudden influx, a friendly and efficient staff member quickly seated us at a table for eight.

It was too early for lunch, so we were invited to view the cake counter, where a sumptuous array of baked goods was on display: carrot cake, cupcakes, brownies, tray bakes, cheesecake, meringues, and a dozen similar temptations. Between us, we chose a cross-section of the goods on offer, all of which met with our enthusiastic approval.

My own choice was a very substantial fruit scone, which was served with great dollops of jam and clotted cream. The coffee was exactly how I like it, which is to say served in a proper-sized cup (none of this demitasse nonsense for me). Those in the group who ordered tea had the pleasure of pouring from a real china pot rather than one of those leaky-lid metal pots that infect so many cafés these day.

If you want a full meal, I would guess that the vegetarian breakfast (£7.95) would be a good choice. The menu also includes a soup of the day at £3.95 (I didn't enquire as to its vegetarian provenance) and a range of sandwiches (£5.95), but only two of which are meat- and fish-free.

My share of the bill came to about £4.50, which in most cafés would be a bit steep for a cup of coffee and a scone, but which I felt was reasonable here, given the generous quantities and the comfortable surroundings. Those in the group who enjoyed one of the more opulent cakes paid £5 to £6, including their hot drink.

So next time you're in Leith, I would recommend you give Mimi's a try. And if you're watching your waistline, try it anyway, then join us on a bike ride to burn off the calories.

Details
  • Mimi's Bakehouse, 63 The Shore, Edinburgh EH6 6RA
  • Phone: 0131-555 5908. 
  • Open 09.00 - 17.00 (Mon - Fri), 09.00 - 18.00 (Sat - Sun)



2 comments:

Moira A. said...

Mimi's sounds really nice, but do you know if they have any gluten-free baking?

Mike Lewis said...

Hi Moira,

I didn't see any mention of of gluten-free options on Mimi's menu or website, so I assume they don't have any. But it's always worth asking.

Mike